Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Salesperson license

Are you a veteran? You may qualify for a fee waiver for an initial license. Find out more!

A retail dealer or recreational vehicle dealer employs salespersons to sell vehicles to the public.

  • Salespeople can sell for only one dealership at a time.
  • Salespeople who work for a dealership group may sell at all dealerships in the group without holding a separate license for each dealership. A dealership group means two or more licensed dealers that share majority ownership.
  • Salespeople must be at least 18 years old.
  • A salesperson cannot have been convicted of a crime directly related to the sale of motor vehicles.
  • A valid drivers license is not needed to get a salesperson license. However, your employer may require one.

Salespeople must pass a written exam

Salespeople must pass a written exam in order to be licensed. You do not have to take the exam if you held a valid Wisconsin salesperson license anytime in the last 5 years. You also do not have to take the exam if you will be selling recreational vehicles only.

The Motor Vehicle Salesperson Exam tests your knowledge of laws about vehicle disclosure, purchase contracts, record-keeping, advertising, and titling and registration. The exam includes 50 questions. You must answer at least 40 questions correctly to pass the exam. You may prepare for the exam by studying the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Motor Vehicle Salesperson Manual. You can take the exam as many times as necessary in order to pass. However, you must wait one day before retaking a failed test.

You may take the Motor Vehicle Salesperson Exam at any DMV service center in the state. DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards and the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Debit cards will be processed as credit. Allow at least 45 minutes for the exam. The fee for the exam is $5.

If you need special accommodations for taking the written exam, contact the DMV service center where you wish to take the exam.

To apply for a new salesperson license:

If you have never held a Wisconsin salesperson license, or your previous license expired more than 5 years ago, you may apply for a new salesperson license by following these steps:

  • Complete and print the Salesperson/Representative License Application form MV2184.
  • Have your new employer complete and sign the bottom section of the form.
  • Take your completed form and the appropriate application fee with you to the DMV service center when you take your salesperson exam. The application fee is less than $20. See the MV2184 form for the correct application fee. Note: There is an additional $5 fee for the exam.

Transfer an existing salesperson license

If you have held a valid Wisconsin salesperson license within the past five years, you may transfer your current or previous license by doing the following:

  • Complete and print the Salesperson/Representative License Application form MV2184.
  • Have your new employer complete and sign the bottom section of the form.
  • Include the appropriate fee as listed on the application form.
  • Mail your completed form to WisDOT's Dealer & Agent Section at the address on your form.

If you have questions or prefer to have application materials or a Motor Vehicle Salesperson Manual mailed to you:

  • Email: dealers.dmv@dot.wi.gov
  • Call: (608) 266-1425
  • FAX: (608) 267-0323
  • Write to the address below:

    Wisconsin Department of Transportation
    Dealer & Agent Section
    4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 201
    P.O. Box 7909
    Madison, WI 53707-7909

For more information:

Questions about the content of this page:
Division of Motor Vehicles, Dealer Section, dealers.dmv@dot.wi.gov
Last modified: November 14, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.