Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
In This Together workbook - Assistance for motor vehicle dealers
If access to a motor vehicle dealer's lot will be severely restricted during road construction, the dealer might want to consider using an alternate site. WisDOT's Division of Motor Vehicles stands ready to assist with the necessary paperwork. Applications are expedited for alternate sites.
Dealers have several options if they are able to secure an alternate location:
- Offer off-premise sales. These are most useful for
short-duration construction projects or for the most
inconvenient portion of a larger project:
- Up to six off-premise sales are allowed per calendar year, up to 10 days duration per sale.
- Requirements: provide written notice to the DMV Dealer & Agent Section 10 days in advance and provide a notice of three-day right to cancel to all purchasers. Written notice can be forwarded to the Dealer & Agent Section at the address or fax number below.
- Set up a temporary branch or sub lot. The dealer must:
- Keep operating in the main location. A branch is used for new or used vehicle sales in the same municipality as the main location; a sub lot is used for used vehicle sales only.
- File an application with the DMV Dealer & Agent Section. Indoor display requirement is waived for alternate sites. New vehicle sales need a letter from the manufacturer approving the alternate location.
- Relocate the dealership temporarily.
- This applies if the alternate site is in a different municipality than the main location.
- No sales can be completed at the main location, but service work is OK.
- Dealers must file an application with the DMV Dealer & Agent Section. Indoor display requirement is waived for alternate sites. New vehicle sales need a letter from the manufacturer approving the alternate location.
To contact the DMV Dealer and Agent section
Call (608) 266-1425 or visit WisDOT's website for Motor vehicle dealer forms and publications.
Questions about the content of this page, contact:
Office of Public Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: November 6, 2012
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.