Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Wisconsin minority business certification application process
Wisconsin Minority Business Certification
The purpose of the Minority Business Certification Program is to increase the opportunity for minority firms to sell their products and services to the state of Wisconsin.
- Per Wisconsin Statute 16.75 (3m) (b), state departments and agencies shall attempt to ensure at least 5% of total spending is paid to certified minority businesses.
- Certified minority-owned firms are eligible for a low-bid preference as long as their bid is no higher than 5% of the lowest qualified responsible bidder.
- Certified minority-owned firms are eligible for technical and marketing assistance.
- Certified minority-owned firms are eligible to be listed in the state of Wisconsin's Directory of Minority-Owned Businesses which is circulated to corporate buyers throughout the United States, and state purchasing agents.
A minority-owned business (sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or joint venture) must meet the following criteria:
- Member of an ethnic minority group: Native American, Black, Hispanic, Asian Indian, Asian Pacific, Aleut, Eskimo, or Native Hawaiian. (WisDOT does not recognize women as minorities. Therefore, women-owned businesses are not eligible for minority certification).
- Be at least 51% owned, controlled and actively managed by minority group members.
- Serve a "useful business function" and have customers other than the state of Wisconsin.
- Must be at least one (1) year old under current ownership.
How to apply
- Complete an online application and upload requested documentation (ethnic status of minority owner(s), financial records, going business activity, etc.)
- Must provide access to its business facilities and key personnel for the state Certification Consultant's on-site visit.
Where to apply
Applications and additional information are available from the Wisconsin Department of Administration by contacting:
Wisconsin Department of Administration
Minority Business Program
P.O. Box 7970
Madison, WI 53707
Telephone: (608) 267-9550
Questions about the content of this page:
June Robinson, email@example.com
Last modified: April 13, 2012
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.