Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Voluntary temporary surrender of a driver license
Anyone who holds a valid driver license may voluntarily surrender all or part of the license privilege. During the time your license is surrendered, you are not permitted to drive vehicles that require the class(es) or endorsement(s) that have been surrendered.
Reasons for the class/endorsement surrender:
- Insurance (Financial responsibility - SR22 filing)
- You no longer want or need the classes or endorsements.
Who can complete MV3581 form:
- Power of Attorney (POA)
- Guardian that is court appointed
How to temporarily surrender your license:
- Download and complete form MV3581.
- Take form MV3581 to a DMV service center with your driver license.
- Mail completed form MV3581 with your driver license to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation Medical Review
P.O. Box 7918
Madison, WI 53707-7918
How to surrender only portions of the license:
- Download and complete MV3581.
- Take the form and your driver license to a DMV service center.
- Complete form MV3001 (Wisconsin Driver License application) and pay the $14 fee to obtain a new license that reflects the remaining classes/endorsements.
How to reapply for a license after a voluntary surrender for all or part of the classes/endorsements:
- Resolve/comply with reason for the surrender.
- Visit a DMV service center.
- Complete form MV3001 (Wisconsin Driver License application) and pay the $14 fee.
- Pay renewal fee if the license is expired.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Last modified: December 13, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.