Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Lost or stolen driver license or identification (ID) card while out-of-state

If you are a Wisconsin resident who is temporarily out-of-state and your license or ID card has been lost or stolen, you may apply for a duplicate through the mail to replace the lost or stolen card. You must be a U.S. citizen who has a valid photo and Social Security number on file with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT). Non-U.S. citizens cannot apply by mail and MUST appear at a DMV service center and provide proof of legal status.

Please note we will be unable to process your request if any of the following apply:

  • Your most recent Wisconsin license or ID card was "Valid Without Photo."
  • A prior license or ID card duplicate has been processed for you through the mail or using our online service within the past two years.

Driver license duplicate

Complete a Wisconsin Driver License application (form MV3001). Record your temporary out of state address in the field labeled "Mailing Address." The fee for a duplicate driver license is $14.

Identification (ID) card duplicate

Complete a Wisconsin Identification Card application (form MV3004). Record your temporary out of state address in the field labeled "Mailing Address."

ID cards used for voting are FREE. If you are a U.S. citizen, will be at least 18 years of age by the next election, and require a Wisconsin ID card to vote, please check the ID for FREE box on the MV3004 application.  Otherwise, the fee for a duplicate ID card is $16.

Additional information for all out of state applicants

You must fill out all sections of the application completely or it will be returned to you and your duplicate will not be processed. Please include with your application the following information:

  • Your temporary out-of-state mailing address.
  • Your telephone number or email address, should we need to contact you.
  • If you would like to receive notification when your license or ID has been processed, please provide a written request indicating that you would like a receipt emailed to you (email address is required).

Mail the completed application and a check or money order made payable to "Registration Fee Trust" for the appropriate duplicate fee to the chosen delivery option below. If you want to get your duplicate as soon as possible, send your application materials using overnight or priority delivery to the DMV to reduce the mailing time to our office.

To send your application via regular first class delivery to DMV:

Qualification and Issuance Section
P.O. Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707-7995

To send your application via overnight or priority delivery to DMV:

Qualification and Issuance Section
4802 Sheboygan Ave., Room 809
Madison, WI 53702

Once processed, your duplicate license or ID card will be sent to you by first class mail delivery to the out of state address indicated on your application.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 264-7049

Last modified: February 20, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.