Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
School bus drivers ("S" endorsement on driver license)
Requirements to become a school bus driver:
- Pass a criminal background check at original issuance of a school bus "S" endorsement, at each renewal and every four years (at the mid-point of the term of the license).
- Have no felony convictions that disqualify you from holding a school bus endorsement. School bus disqualifications.
- Complete a self-certification form declaring you are conviction free and provide information to the state if you have not been a Wisconsin resident in the previous two years. This pre-screening is to be used by both the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) and school bus companies who employ the drivers.
- Submit to fingerprinting for a criminal background check if you have lived out-of-state in the previous two years. (The cost for this requirement is the driver's responsibility.)
- Notify your employer in writing within ten days of any accident or conviction that makes you ineligible to hold the school bus endorsement, or of any license withdrawal from Wisconsin or any other state.
Fee information for an original license, a renewal license or for adding an "S" endorsement (change of authority).
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Last modified: August 31, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.