Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Identification (ID) card renewal

A renewal notice is mailed to the last known address on your record 45 to 60 days prior to your birthday in the year your ID card expires. The renewal notice will inform you of the general requirements to renew your ID card.

An ID card may be renewed up to one year prior to the expiration date.

To renew your ID card

Additional requirements

The Wisconsin DMV is issuing driver licenses and ID cards that meet new federal REAL ID requirements. While all Wisconsin licenses and ID cards are valid for federal uses for the next few years, at some point before your next renewal, a REAL ID license or ID card will be required for identification at airports and federal buildings.

The cost to renew your existing ID card or get a REAL ID compliant card will be the same.

If you will be renewing and want a REAL ID compliant card, you must also provide proof of:

Note: If you are a current Wisconsin resident who has never changed your name, you can get a REAL ID card by bringing a certified U.S. birth certificate, a Wisconsin ID card with current address and a Social Security card.

Applications and documents will be electronically scanned and securely stored to meet federal requirements and to detect and deter identity theft and fraud.

If you will be renewing your card and you donít want a federally compliant REAL ID card:

You can renew just as you have done in the past. The DMV will continue to issue non REAL ID-compliant ID cards.

Depending on your eligibility, ID cards can be renewed:

  • By using our Online ID card renewal service
  • By mailing in a MV3004 (Wisconsin Identification Card (ID) Application).
    • Be sure to answer all the questions on the form.
    • Enclose a check or money order payable to Registration Fee Trust for the appropriate renewal fee. ID cards used for voting are free (see below).
    • Mail to: WisDOT, PO Box 7995, Madison, WI 53707-7995
  • At a DMV service center. When you visit the DMV service center, be sure to:
    • Bring your current ID card or other acceptable form of identity.
    • Bring your Social Security Number.
    • If your name has changed since your last renewal, you must also present proof of name change.
    • Pay your fee. DMV accepts cash, check or money order.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must visit a DMV service center to renew. Proof of legal status will also be required.

Driver licenses and ID cards are mailed

The WisDOT began "central issuance" of all driver licenses and ID cards in the spring of 2012. All products are mailed from one production facility. Customers leave the DMV service center with a paper receipt that is valid for 45 days. The receipt, including your photo, is acceptable photo identification for voting and serves as your license or ID until your card arrives in the mail.

Please note that the receipt is not acceptable as proof of identity for a Social Security Number replacement card. If you want to request a Social Security Number replacement card, please wait for your license or ID card to arrive in the mail before visiting a Social Security office.

ID cards used for voting are FREE

If you are a U.S. citizen, will be at least 18 years of age by the next election, and require a Wisconsin ID card to vote, please check the ID for FREE box online or on the MV3004 application. Otherwise, please pay the required fee. Note that a Wisconsin driver license or ID card is acceptable proof for voting.

Veteran Identifier

Beginning December 1, 2013, your Wisconsin ID card may now include a Veteran Identifier if you are registered with the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA). For more information or to register with WDVA, visit www.WisVets.com/Plates#V, your county Veterans Service Organization or call 1-800-WIS-VETS.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-2353

Last modified: November 11, 2013

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.