Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Lost renewal notice - Driver license or identification (ID) card

Driver license and identification card renewal notices are mailed to the last known address on your driver record 45-60 days prior to your birthday in the year your driver license or ID card expires.

A regular driver license may be renewed up to one year prior to the expiration date. A probationary license can be renewed 90 days prior to the expiration date. Drivers who fail to renew their license by their birthday will be assessed a late fee.

An ID card can be renewed up to one year prior to the expiration date.

If you have lost your renewal notice, or if you did not receive one, you may renew at any DMV service center. Completely fill out form MV3001 (Wisconsin Driver License Application) or form MV3004 (Wisconsin Identification Card (ID) Application). Use your current driver license or ID card for proof of identity and pay the required renewal fee. If you are not a U.S. citizen, proof of legal status will also be required.

ID cards used for voting are FREE. If you are a U.S. citizen, will be at least 18 years of age by the next election, and require a Wisconsin ID card to vote, please check the ID for FREE box on the MV3004 application.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-2353

Last modified: February 16, 2012

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.