Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Web self certification help page

Terms used in this web application

  • Date certified to DMV: The most recent date that your information was approved by the DMV.
  • Fed Med card: (Federal Medical Examiner Certificate) The signed certification you receive from your medical provider that indicates you are eligible to operate a commercial motor vehicle. It must be issued in accordance with 49 CFR 391.43 that you are physically qualified under 49 CFR 391.45 to drive a commercial motor vehicle.
  • Fed Med expiration date: Expiration date of the current Fed Med card on system with the DMV.
  • Medical status: Certified means that you are certified to operate in non-excepted interstate (Tier 1) commerce. Not Certified means that you may have an expired Fed Med card.
  • Product number: The 11 digit number from the back of your driver license. Depending on the type of license you have, the product number will be either in the upper right or left corners of the card.
  • Self certification tier: Tier that you currently have on file with the DMV.

What tier am I?

Ask yourself: Am I an interstate or intrastate driver? Do I operate in an excepted* industry listed below? Your answers will determine your self-certification:

  • You are an interstate driver if the load you are carrying crosses state lines at any point during the trip. You will choose Tier 1 if you are operating interstate, not under an exception. You will choose Tier 2 if you are operating interstate under an exception.
  • You are an intrastate driver if the load you are carrying stays within the state (it does not cross state lines). You will choose Tier 3 if you are operating intrastate, not under an exception. You will choose Tier 4 if you are operating intrastate under a federal or state exception.

*Exceptions include:

  • All school bus operations.
  • Transportation performed by any political subdivision.
  • Transportation of human corpses or sick and injured persons.
  • Operation of fire trucks and rescue vehicles while involved in emergency and related operations.
  • Operation of vehicles designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers not for direct compensation.
  • Transportation of propane winter heating fuel or responding to a pipeline emergency.
  • Farm custom operation, custom-harvesting operations, transporting farm machinery, supplies, or both to or from a farm for custom-harvesting operations on a farm, or transport custom-harvested crops to storage or market.
  • Operation of a commercial motor vehicle controlled and operated by a beekeeper engaged in the seasonal transportation of bees.
  • Operation of private motor carrier of passengers (non-business).
  • Occasional transportation of personal property not for compensation or commercial enterprise.

Definition of tiers

  • Tier 1: Non-excepted interstate You need to provide a valid Fed Med card to DMV. The Fed Med will be required for issuance of a license and you will have to forward a copy to the DMV whenever you get a new card.

    This is the most flexible and covers you under any circumstance.

    If you are engaged in interstate commerce, you are required to provide a valid Fed Med card to DMV (failure will result in loss of interstate CDL privileges unless excepted*). Information from your card such as the doctor's name, date of exam, certificate expiration date, etc. will be recorded on your driving record and will be made available to law enforcement.
  • Tier 2: Excepted interstate You do not need a Fed Med card.

    This means you are engaged in interstate commerce but operating under an exception*.
  • Tier 3: Non-excepted intrastate You need a valid Fed Med card to drive a commercial vehicle. You will need to provide it to DMV when a license is issued, but you do not have to forward a copy of it to the DMV keep on file when the card is updated.

    You are engaged in intrastate commerce.

    * Does not include exceptions when operating in interstate commerce.
  • Tier 4: Excepted intrastate You do not need a Fed Med card.

    You are engaged in intrastate commerce and subject to one of the exceptions*, or one of the Wisconsin exceptions as follows:
    • Tow trucks (if requested by a federal, state or local officer to move a wrecked or disabled vehicle).
    • Grandfathered (held valid CDL since July 29, 1996, that has not been revoked).
    • Wisconsin diabetes exemption to the Fed Med card.
    • Wisconsin vision exemption to the Fed Med card.

If you certify in tiers 2-4, you may still be required to have a Fed Med card due to state statutes or employer policy. However, you do not have to furnish a copy of the card to the DMV outside of a normal trip for a license renewal or replacement.

How do I certify or change a tier?

Drivers certifying a tier of operation for the first time, or changing their current tier of operation, will need to complete form MV3230, provide their Fed Med card (if required) and visit a DMV Customer Service Center.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 264-7049

Last modified: May 19, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.