Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Classroom certification (MV3684)
At least one classroom is required if the school is licensed for under age 18 classroom instruction. Each classroom must meet the requirements specified by the department and have a separate DTS Classroom Certification on file.
The licensee shall designate any facility used as a classroom in writing, and no instruction shall begin without written authorization by the department. Authorization by the department does not supersede local ordinances or the building, heating and ventilation code established by the Department of Safety and Professional Security relating to public health, safety and sanitation.
Classroom space must meet the listed mandatory requirements without exception:
- The classroom must be located in a commercial zone. If not, a letter of approval from the local zoning authority must be submitted with the application.
- The location of the classroom must be at least 1,500 feet from any DMV service center or road test site.
- Size of room must be at least 20 square feet per occupant. The maximum number of students in one classroom is 35.
- The classroom must be clean and without conflicting noise, disturbances or distractions.
- The classroom must have audio-visual materials (projector, chalkboard, VCR/TV, etc.).
- The classroom must have adequate lighting, temperature control and ventilation.
- There must be access to restroom facilities.
- There must be written authorization from a public school if public school classrooms are used to provide instruction.
Classroom facilities need not be used exclusively for driver education if the other uses do not interfere with the proper conduct of instruction.
No more than 35 students may be placed in any class section without the department's approval. Class sections in excess of 35 students may be allowed only when facilities and lesson plans justify such instruction.
Questions about the content of this page:
WisDOT Driver Training Schools, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: November 23, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.