Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Veteran identifier on Wisconsin driver's license or ID
To get the veteran identifier on your driver license or ID card:
- Verify your eligibility with the Wisconsin Department of
Veterans Affairs. Contact the Veterans Benefits Resource Center
at: 1-800-WIS-VETS or VetExpress at
Contact your local County Veterans Service Officer, www.wicvso.org, to obtain certification of your veteran status for the identifier.
- Once you've established eligibility, you may apply at the Wisconsin DMV. If renewing or getting your first driver license or ID card, you'll need to visit your local DMV. If it's not time to renew, you have the option to get a duplicate product online at www.wisconsindmv.gov. Under Online Services you will find applications for duplicate driver licenses and ID cards.
MOVE-IT (Making Opportunities for Veteran Employment in
The State of Wisconsin wants to honor the service our military veterans have given to our state and country. State agencies are working together to ease the transition to civilian jobs.
Here are resources to help transfer valuable military skills to Wisconsinís transportation industry.
- Military skills test waiver. If you have a license to operate
military commercial vehicles, you may be eligible for a skills test
waiver to receive a Wisconsin commercial driver license (CDL) if
- Have operated military commercial vehicles for at least two years
- Are either currently active military or within one years of discharge
- Have your application signed by your Commanding or Training officer
- Take the knowledge portion of the CDL test
- A checklist for forms, procedures and proof of identity is available online.
- CDL knowledge test study materials. The Wisconsin Commercial Driverís manual is available online. Practice test mobile apps and eReader version of the manual are also available.
- Take your test at a convenient DMV customer service center.
- Get CDL training. Search for truck driving schools in Wisconsin by county. Admission officers can assist with veteran education funding.
- Operate a trucking business. WisDOT YouTube video tutorials show how to fill out DMV-related forms. Explore the DMV playlist on WisDOT.
- Find trucking jobs. Once you have a Wisconsin CDL, check the Wisconsin Job Center trucking page for job announcements.
- Obtain other veteran benefits. Wisconsin veterans have earned many federal and state benefits for themselves, their spouses and dependents for education, health care, transportation to medical facilities and even fishing and hunting licenses.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 264-7049
Last modified: February 10, 2015
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.