Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Young driver sponsorship

All Wisconsin drivers under 18 years of age need sponsorship when issued an instruction permit or license. By signing the driver license application as sponsor, the sponsor accepts liability for any and all driving actions of the minor, verifies the driver has at least 30 hours of driving experience, 10 of which must be during hours of darkness, is enrolled in a school program or high school equivalency program, graduated from high school or been granted a declaration of high school graduation equivalency, or is enrolled in a home-based private education program and not a habitual truant.

People who can sign as sponsor:

  • Parent (natural or adoptive parent if parental rights have not been terminated), step-parent, or legal guardian (person named by the court having the duty and authority of guardianship).
  • Sponsoring family parent of a foreign student.

If the teen applicant is not living with a parent, or court-appointed legal guardian, other "approved adults" are:

  • Grandparent
  • Aunt or uncle
  • Sibling 18 years of age or older
  • Spouse 18 years of age or older
  • Foster parent

Persons without an adult sponsor

If you are under 18 years of age, you must have a sponsor unless you:

  • Do not have a living parent
  • Do not live with your parent(s) and are a full-time student or earning a living
  • Are a ward of the state, county or court and have been placed in a foster home or in the care of a religious welfare service
  • Are married and your spouse is under 18 years of age

If you meet any of the above criteria, you may file Proof of Insurance instead of having a sponsor

Withdrawing sponsorship

Any adult who signs as sponsor for a person under 18 years of age may file, with DMV, a written request that the license be canceled. To withdraw sponsorship and have the license canceled, complete form MV3118 and mail it to the address listed on the form.

Reinstating a license canceled by withdrawal of sponsorship

To reinstate a canceled license and be issued a new one, visit any DMV service center, except Express offices. (DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards and the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Debit cards will be processed as credit.) You will need to complete form MV3001 - Wisconsin Driver License application and pay a reinstatement fee. If you are under 18 years of age, an approved adult will need to sign as your sponsor. If you do not have a sponsor, Proof of Insurance (SR22) is required.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service

Last modified: November 14, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.