Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Civil Air Patrol license plates
Civil Air Patrol license plates are available for issuance to persons who are current or retired members of the Civil Air Patrol, a non-profit organization, which is an auxiliary of the US Air Force. Applicants must provide a copy of their current Civil Air Patrol membership card. For more information about the Civil Air Patrol, call (608) 242-3067 or visit Civil Air Patrol.
Vehicles that qualify:
- Motor homes (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
Things you should know:
- Civil Air Patrol license plates can feature regular numbers or a personalized message.
- A $15 issuance fee is required when nonpersonalized Civil Air Patrol plates are issued. WisDOT will transfer funds to the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Trust Fund. This fee may be tax deductible for certain tax filers; consult your tax advisor.
- A $15 fee is required EACH year in addition to the regular annual registration fee for personalized plates.
- If the vehicle receiving Civil Air Patrol license plates is already titled/registered in your name, complete the vehicle section on form MV2961.
- If the vehicle is not titled in your name, complete the title application - form MV1 and form MV2961. Send them with all the required documents and fees to the address on form MV2961.
- Plates may be transferred from an auto to a truck or vice versa upon payment of the full registration fee unless the vehicle is converted from an auto to a truck or vice versa. The registration type must be changed to reflect the current plate type.
- For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply:
Civil Air Patrol license plates are not available at local DMV service centers. To apply by mail, send the following items:
- Completed Civil Air Patrol License Plates Application form, MV2961 including proof of eligibility
- Issuance fee, if requesting non-personalized plates
- Personalized plate fee, if requesting personalized plate
- Annual registration fee if you do not have plates or if your current plates expire within the next three months;
- Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust;
- Mail with payment to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
- Personalizing your Civil Air Patrol plates is optional.
- A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee.
- Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered, or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
- WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
- After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive.
Changing from personalized to regular Civil Air Patrol plates
If you wish to re-register with regular Civil Air Patrol plates at renewal time or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for regular Civil Air Patrol plates and fee shown on the notice, which includes the $15 issuance fee. If you wish to re-register other than at renewal time, send the request, a copy of the Certificate of Registration and $15 issuance fee.
Changing from Civil Air Patrol to regular plates
You must maintain your membership in the Civil Air Patrol, or be a retired member, to retain Civil Air Patrol license plates. To re-register your vehicle with regular license plates at renewal time or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for standard plates along with the registration fee due. If you wish to re-register other than at renewal time, send the request and a copy of the Certificate of Registration.
Temporary plate required
To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your Civil Air Patrol plate order is processed. An agent may charge a $3 plate fee and/or may also charge a $5 service fee.
Release of information
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) uses the information on form MV2961 to issue Civil Air Patrol license plates. Under open records laws, the department must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from mailing lists of 10 or more individuals, complete page 2 of form MV2961.
Back to Special and personalized license plates
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: July 13, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.