Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Lao Veteran license plates
The Lao Veteran license plates recognize the sacrifices of Hmong and Laotian veterans who served on behalf of the United States of America in the Vietnam War.
Vehicles that qualify
Lao Veterans license plates are available for the following vehicles that are owned or leased by certified members of Lao Veterans of America, Inc.:
- Motor homes (annual registration only)
- Motor trucks
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
How to apply
Lao Veterans of America, Inc.
1100 Kane St.
La Crosse, WI 54603
Telephone: (608) 799-6080
2. When you receive your application, certificate and decals from the Lao Veterans of America, Inc., download and complete form MV2919. Send the following items:
- Your Wisconsin Title (not a photocopy)
- Signed application form MV2919
- Signed Application Form for Hmong/Lao Veteran License Plate in WI from Lao Veterans of America, Inc.
- Photocopy of Service Certificate (not ID card) from Lao Veterans of America, Inc.
- $15 Issuance fee or $15 personalized fee
- Annual registration fee if you do not have plates or if your plates expire within the next 3 months
- Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust
Wisconsin Department of
Special Plates Unit
4802 Sheboygan Ave.
P.O. Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911
Standard Lao Veteran plates
The first time you get your Lao Veteran plate you pay:
- A $15 original issuance fee
- Your regular registration fee, if your current plates expire within three months
Thereafter, you pay only the regular registration fee. You must submit your current title to receive either standard or personalized Lao Veteran plates. You will receive a new title.
Personalized license plates
- If you would like personalized plates, a $15 fee is required EACH year in addition to the regular registration fee.
- Personalized plates cannot be duplicated on any other license plate issued by Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT). To check whether your personalized plate choice is available before you apply, contact the Special Plates Unit.
- Allow approximately 2-4 weeks for the manufacturing process, after you have received the title.
Temporary plates required
To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your Lao Veteran order is processed. An agent may also charge a $3 plate fee and/or may charge a $5 service fee.
Change to regular plates
If you later decide to register with standard license plates, return your title with a request for standard plates. Include the regular registration fee if your Lao Veteran plates will expire within the next three months.
Release of information
WisDOT uses the information on this form to issue Lao Veteran license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. WisDOT makes some information available to companies for business purposes. If you want your name and address withheld from such business mailing lists, download form MV3592. Request to Withhold Name and Address or obtain one from any DMV service center. Complete, and return to the address given on the form.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: August 6, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.