Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Ex-Prisoner of War license plates

Ex-prisoner of war license plate


These plates are available to former prisoners of war as certified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and authorized by Wisconsin State Statute 341.14(6).

Things you should know:

  • The applicant for Ex-Prisoner of War plates must be the vehicle owner, co-owner or lessee, or the beneficiary of a trust that owns or leases the vehicle.
  • There are no issuance or registration fees for one vehicle owned or leased by a person who qualifies for the plates.  Additional vehicles registered with Ex-Prisoner of War plates require payment of a $15 issuance fee plus the annual registration fee.
  • Ex-Prisoner of War plates expire annually and must be renewed even if no fee is required.
  • The plates may be transferred to a surviving spouse or domestic partner.
  • No special parking privileges are provided with Ex-Prisoner of War plates. See Disabled Veteran license plates or Disabled parking identification cards for information about special parking privileges for persons with disabilities that impair the ability to walk.
  • The following vehicles qualify for Ex-Prisoner of War license plates:
    • Automobiles
    • Motor homes (annual registration only)
    • Motor trucks
      • 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
      • 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
  • For more information, visit Personalized and special plates FAQs

How to apply:

If the vehicle is titled in your name, send:

  1. A copy of your Certificate of Registration.
  2. Registration and issuance fees if registering a second or subsequent vehicle with Ex-Prisoner of War plates.
  3. Letter of verification from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). To obtain a letter, call the VA Regional Office at (800) 827-1000.

If the vehicle is NOT titled in your name, send:

  • Assigned Wisconsin title or out-of-state title.
  • A completed form MV1 or MV11 including all fees and taxes.
  • Letter of verification from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). To get a letter, call the VA Regional Office at (800) 827-1000.
  • Registration and issuance fees, if applying for a second or subsequent Ex-Prisoner of War plate.
  • A check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust.

Mail to:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911

Temporary plate required

To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply at a DMV customer center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your Ex-Prisoner of War plate order is processed. An agent may charge a $3 plate fee and/or may also charge a $5 service fee.

Release of information

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) uses they information on this form to issue Ex-Prisoner of War license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from mailing lists of 10 or more individuals, complete form MV3592 Request to Withhold Name and Address. Complete and return to the address given on the form.

Previous Back to Special and personalized license plates

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106

Last modified: May 10, 2010

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.