Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Duplicate certificate of registration
Online services will be unavailable due to maintenance Sunday, January 25, from midnight to 6 a.m. We apologize for the inconvenience.
If your Certificate of Registration needs to be replaced because it was lost or destroyed, you can obtain a duplicate:
You can print a copy of the last registration issued using the online Duplicate Certificate of Registration Application.
To use the application, you need:
- To be the registered owner, lessee or driver of the vehicle (must be an individual, not a business).
- A printer with standard white 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - The Certificate of Registration is produced as a PDF for you to print. It will not be mailed.
- A valid credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or
American Express) or ACH (Automated Clearing House) payment through your checking/savings
account (eCheck - automatic withdrawal from your bank account).
- For ACH payments, your account will be charged a $2 application fee.
- For credit or debit card payments, your account will be charged a $2 application fee and a convenience fee.
- A valid email address.
- Your Wisconsin driver license or identification card number.
- The last four digits of your Social Security Number.
- Your date of birth.
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle needing the duplicate Certificate of Registration.
Once the online transaction is completed, you cannot cancel it or receive a refund. Verify that you have entered the information correctly before completing payment information. If your registration is expired, or is due for renewal and you want to renew the registration now, use the online license plate renewal application. You will receive a Certificate of Registration with the year sticker.
Complete form MV2026 - Duplicate Certificate of Registration Application and mail it with $2 to the address on the form.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-1466
Last modified: October 23, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.