Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Request your own vehicle record online
Before attempting to request your vehicle records online:
- You cannot cancel an online transaction nor receive a refund once the transaction is completed. Please verify that you have entered the information correctly prior to completing payment information.
- You will not be mailed an abstract. You must download your vehicle record abstract using Adobe Acrobat Reader onto your computer.
- You will be charged $5.50 for each record. This includes an online convenience fee of 50 cents.
- This application does not provide historical records or certify records for use in court proceedings. If you need a copy of a vehicle record from when you owned the vehicle or a certified record, please complete the MV2896 (Vehicle/Driver Record Information Request form) and submit along with the appropriate fee to the address listed on the form.
To use this online application you must know the complete vehicle identification number (VIN) of your vehicle. Your request for a copy of your vehicle record is NOT complete until you have submitted payment and receive a confirmation message at the end of the payment transaction.
You will need the following items to obtain a copy of your vehicle record through this online system:
- If available, your Wisconsin driver license number or Wisconsin identification card number, the last four digits of your social security number, and date of birth.
- If you do not know your driver license or identification card number, you will need to enter your proper name including first, last and middle initial, your complete social security number, and date of birth.
- The complete VIN of the vehicle.
- The following cards are accepted: VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-1466
Last modified: November 6, 2012
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.