Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Selling a vehicle - points to remember

The Wisconsin Certificate of Title is an important document that indicates ownership of the vehicle. When you sell the vehicle, fill out all of the information requested on the title (e.g., odometer statement, brand disclosure, etc.) and sign the title as the seller, and have the buyer sign as well. The buyer will then submit the title (original, not a photocopy) to WisDOT along with an application for registration/title to get a title in their name.

You do not need to notify the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) when you sell your vehicle. If you are selling your vehicle privately, there is no special form that is required. We recommend that you keep a record of the sale. You may draft your own bill of sale including such information as:

  • Make, year, model, vehicle identification number and an odometer reading for the vehicle
  • Name, address and telephone number of the buyer
  • Name, address and telephone number of the seller
  • Signatures of both buyer and seller
  • Selling price and date sold

Instructions for selling a vehicle MV2928 (Spanish MV2928) are provided for your convenience. This form is not a valid bill of sale for a motor vehicle. You may keep a copy with your records, and make a copy for the buyer as documentation of the sale.

If the vehicle will be operated, the buyer must title and register it within two business days after purchase. When the vehicle is titled in the new owner’s name, the vehicle record will be updated to reflect the change in ownership.

Never leave the license plates on an auto or light truck (8,000 pounds or under) when selling or junking the vehicle. You should destroy them (cut them up) if you are not going to use them on another vehicle. They can’t be used by someone else. Do not return the plates to DMV. If you have left the plates on your vehicle and are concerned, you can download and complete a License Plates Cancellation Application form MV2514 (Spanish MV2514).

You may still receive a renewal notice when the license plates expire. You can disregard the notice.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-1466

Last modified: March 12, 2013

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.