Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Tribal affairs - Initiatives, Historic preservation project
Created to strengthen tribal participation in Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) programming and projects with a focus on historic preservation and environmental issues.
This project is led in partnership with the Lac du Flambeau Lake Superior Band of Chippewa.
Project meetings occur on a monthly basis with Tribal Historic Preservation Officers (THPO), tribal elders, spiritual advisors and tribal preservation experts to seek guidance on the care and treatment of historic properties, sacred sites, burials and traditional cultural properties.
- Redrafting of the Facilities Development Manual (FDM) chapter 26, which deals with the Section 106 process.
- A draft environmental/cultural resource consultation policy.
- An annual listening session between all stakeholders in WisDOT project efforts.
- Direct involvement with tribes in state planning and project specific initiatives and regular preservation training opportunities for both tribes and WisDOT employees.
Video - WisDOT/Tribal Historic Preservation Officers Listening Session
In 2006 a pilot project was initiated through a memorandum of agreement between WisDOT and Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians.
This project was designed to strengthen tribal participation in WisDOT programming and projects with a focus on historic preservation and environmental issues. Five years later, this project is strong and continues to thrive.
State Burial Sites Office
- Wisconsin State Burial Site Law and Administrative Codes
- Contact for the Wisconsin State Burial Sites Office
Kelly Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: August 15, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.