Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Jan. 13-14, 2015 - Tribal Historic Preservation Project Listening Session
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation's (WisDOT) tribal affairs initiative works exclusively on tribal relations and all transportation related issues affecting tribal communities.
The United States government has a unique legal relationship with federally-recognized Tribal Governments as set forth in the Constitution, treaties, statutes, and court decisions. WisDOT has a responsibility and is committed to this unique government-to-government relationship that respects tribal sovereignty and self-determination.
Executive Order 39, issued in 2004, affirms the government-to-government relationship between Wisconsin's tribes and the state of Wisconsin. As such, state cabinet agencies are directed to work cooperatively with tribes on any policies, programs or issues that have the potential to impact tribal communities.
The purpose of the Partnership Agreement is to continue to create and define the processes by which WisDOT and the Wisconsin Division-Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) will work in collaboration with the 11 federally recognized Tribal Governments of Wisconsin.
- WisDOT/tribal partnership agreement
- Tribes of Wisconsin (reference book) - This manual, created by the Department of Administration, serves as an educational tool that contains information about the history of the tribes, elected tribal officials, Tribal Government and demographics.
- Facilities Development Manual (FDM) revisions
- US 41 Project Community Sensitive Design (CSD)
- Mishonigan Bridge Project (Lac du Flambeau)
- Kingsley Bend Mound Repatriation and Transfer (Ho-Chunk Nation)
- Annual Consultation Meetings with the Tribes
Kelly Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: Dec. 9, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.