WisDOT schedules US 51 public information meeting
June 7, 2012
Bearskin bridge replacement scheduled in 2013
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is conducting a public information meeting to discuss proposed improvements to US 51 between Jackson Heights Road (Cassian) and Oneida Street (Hazelhurst), in Oneida County.
The meeting will take place in the Hazelhurst Town Hall (Yawkee Hall), 9805 Yawkey Street, Hazelhurst, from 4 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 19. A brief presentation is scheduled to take place at 4:15 p.m. The remainder of the meeting will follow an informal, open house format. WisDOT representatives will be available to discuss the project and address any questions.
The improvement projects are scheduled for construction over multiple years. A detailed project construction staging plan will be on display at the meeting. The first project, the Bearskin Trail structure replacement, is scheduled to begin as early as 2013. Other improvement projects to US 51 include:
- Reconstructing US 51 to address the substandard vertical alignment
- Lengthening the existing passing lanes from Jackson Heights Road to Clearview Court
- Widening US 51 to four lanes from Clearview Court to Oneida County D
- Returning US 51 to four travel lanes from County D to Oneida Street
- Replacing the Lake Katherine and Bearskin Trail bridges to safely accommodate the four lanes of travel
- Improving Bearskin Trail with a new, wider bridge and trail head parking area
- Reconstructing intersections to meet the current and projected traffic demands
WisDOT is also reviewing access along the US 51 corridor. The objective is to balance the need for ensuring the safety and operational efficiency of both the highway, with the needs of individual properties. This review may require some access modifications to be included in the scheduled improvement projects.
Citizens who are deaf or hard of hearing and who require an interpreter may request one by contacting Kristin McHugh at least three working days prior to the meeting.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region
(715) 421-8380, email@example.com