Wisconsin’s aviation industry landing in the spotlight next week
July 20, 2012
Governor Scott Walker has proclaimed July 23 - 29 Wisconsin Aviation Week. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) and the Transportation Development Association of Wisconsin (TDA) are teaming up to promote, educate and celebrate the state’s aviation industry.
"Air transportation plays a vital role in Wisconsin," said Department of Transportation Secretary Mark Gottlieb. "Travelers and businesses alike rely on the aviation industry every day, which in turn benefits Wisconsin’s overall economy."
In 2011, nearly 6.5 million people boarded commercial flights in Wisconsin. In addition, more than 116 million pounds of cargo was transported by air last year.
"The aviation industry links our state’s residents and workers to larger national and global economies," said Transportation Development Association of Wisconsin Executive Director Craig Thompson. "Businesses recognize the state’s aviation network is crucial to remain competitive in today’s ever-changing marketplace."
Wisconsin’s aviation system includes nearly 730 landing facilities – 133 of which are public-use airports. Approximately 70 percent of general aviation operations are business-related; while the other 30 percent is recreational.
"Safety is always our top priority," added Secretary Gottlieb. "In 2011, more than $82 million in federal and state funds supported 94 airport improvement projects around Wisconsin."
In addition to the state’s commitment to high quality aviation facilities, the industry’s workforce is moving Wisconsin forward.
"Wisconsin’s aviation industry supports more than 41,000 jobs," Thompson added. "Those jobs generate nearly $3 billion in annual economic activity and more than $1 billion in personal income."
Aviation Week coincides with EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh. More than half a million people from more than 60 countries attend the seven-day event at Wittman Regional Airport – celebrating the past, present and future in the world of flight.
Editor's note: A PDF version of Governor Walker’s Aviation Week proclamation is available at the WisDOT web site.
For more information, contact:
Brock Bergey, WisDOT Office of Public Affairs
(608) 267-3300, firstname.lastname@example.org
Laurel Cavalluzzo, Transportation Development Association
(608) 663-9867, email@example.com