Governor Walker approves US 41 improvements
August 28, 2012
Work will complete US 41/WIS 29 interchange
As part of his efforts to create jobs and make sure Wisconsin is open for business, Governor Scott Walker recently signed a $97 million contract to improve the US 41/WIS 29 interchange in Brown County. Construction is scheduled to begin Tuesday, September 4 and be completed in early October 2014.
The general contractor for the project is Hoffman Construction, Black River Falls.
This project will complete the reconstruction of the US 41/WIS 29 interchange, converting the interchange by building high-speed, free flow flyover ramps and adding capacity.
In conjunction with this work, traffic impacts will be significant. There will be a full closure of WIS 29 from Packerland Drive east to US 41 beginning the week of September 10 through April 2014. East and westbound traffic will be routed onto the newly aligned Shawano Avenue north of existing WIS 29. Access to US 41 will be from Shawano Avenue. Significant travel delays are expected. Motorists are encouraged to seek alternate routes.
For US 41, two lanes of traffic will be maintained during daylight hours. During evening hours, WisDOT plans periodic lane and ramp closures.
Motorists should note that beginning in late fall 2012, the US 41 southbound Mason Street exit ramp from the current US 41 lanes will be closed and re-routed until mid 2013. Southbound traffic that had exited at Mason Street will use the southbound Shawano Avenue exit ramp; continue through the ramp terminal on to the southbound Shawano Avenue on-ramp, travel south along the new southbound US 41 collector-distributor roadway allowing southbound traffic to exit at Mason Street.
WisDOT will provide regular updates regarding traffic impacts associated with this project.
Improvements will include:
- Reconstruction of the US 41/WIS 29 interchange to include new high-speed, free flow flyover ramps connecting US 41 to WIS 29.
- Construction of a collector-distributor (C-D) roadway for northbound and southbound US 41 traffic between Mason Street and WIS 29. The C-D roadway is a separate roadway paralleling the mainline US 41, providing improved, safe and efficient traffic flow between the closely spaced Mason Street and WIS 29 interchanges.
- Construction of multi-lane roundabouts at the US 41/Shawano Avenue service ramps, and at County RK, Packerland Drive and Shawano Avenue.
- Permanently close Dousman Street from approximately 400 feet south of Hummingbird Drive to Taylor Street in the fall of 2012.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kim A. Rudat, WisDOT NE Region
(920) 492-5743, firstname.lastname@example.org