Zoo Interchange construction update
October 4, 2012
Projects to improve traffic flow slated to begin next week
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) continues preparations for major reconstruction of the Zoo Interchange in Milwaukee County. The following projects will begin next week to improve traffic flow in and around the busiest interchange in the state:
- Implement a temporary traffic signal at I-894 and Lincoln Avenue and two temporary traffic signals at I-894 and National Avenue.
- Construct a double left turn lane on eastbound Cleveland Avenue to northeast National Avenue.
- Extend left turn lane from westbound North Avenue to southbound US 45.
- Convert several High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) diamond lanes at ramp meters to Single Occupancy (SOV) lanes at both entrance ramps at National Avenue and I-894, and the northbound on-ramp from North Avenue to US 45.
- Mill and overlay the northeast National Avenue left turn lane onto the southbound I-894 on-ramp.
- Conduct pavement marking in various locations.
The contractor, Zignego Companies, is expected to complete all work on this $458,000 project by the end of this fall.
For more information on the Zoo Interchange construction project, visit the project website.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Emlynn Grisar, WisDOT SE Region
(414) 313-8003, email@example.com