WisDOT schedules public meeting for US 51 in Iron County
January 18, 2013
Meeting to focus on proposed roadway improvements between Mercer and Oma
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is conducting a public involvement meeting to provide information regarding proposed improvements to US 51 in Iron County.
The meeting is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, January 30, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Mercer Town Hall, 2657 W. Railroad Street, Mercer, WI 54547. The objective of the meeting is to familiarize the public with the purpose and need for the project and to obtain input on the proposed improvements.
The pavement on US 51 from Weber Road to County C (Mercer) and Moose Lake Road to Sound End Road (Oma) is cracking and showing signs of deterioration. Some of the existing roadway features do not meet current safety standards, and the existing culverts are beginning to deteriorate.
Proposed improvements include:
- Resurface approximately 12 miles of the roadway from Weber Road to Moose Lake Road and from South End Road to County C.
- Replace the pavement of 2.6 miles of the roadway between Moose Lake Road and South End Road.
- Replace deteriorating culverts as warranted.
- Improve safety by bringing the roadway features up to current design standards, including installation of centerline rumble strips, and the addition of a right-turn lane at the intersection of US 51 and County G.
Construction is currently scheduled for 2017 but could occur as early as 2014. WisDOT proposes to keep the road open to traffic during construction using flagging operations.
Local community officials, property and business owners, and other interested parties are encouraged to attend the meeting. Citizens who are deaf or hard of hearing and require an interpreter may request one by contacting Kristin McHugh at least three working days prior to the meeting.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region
(715) 421-8380, email@example.com