Marathon County U (Merrill Avenue) overpass removal rescheduled for Monday, April 8
March 27, 2013
The removal of the Marathon County U (Merrill Avenue) bridge over US 51 in Wausau has been rescheduled due to unfavorable weather. The removal is now scheduled to begin on Monday, April 8. The schedule is subject to change based on weather conditions and construction status.
- Motorists can expect single lane closures on US 51 on Thursday, April 4. Crews will be widening the shoulders, removing beam guard, and placing concrete barriers to prepare for the bridge removal.
- Crews are planning nighttime closures of US 51 beginning Monday, April 8, to remove the County U structure. During the closures, US 51 traffic will be detoured via the existing interchange ramps.
- After County U is closed on April 8, the road will be closed to through traffic for approximately six months. During the closure, traffic will be detoured via Westwood Drive and Bridge Street. Local motorists are advised to plan ahead and allow more travel time to avoid delays.
The bridge removal is the first stage of the $28 million reconstruction of the US 51/Marathon County U and K interchange. Anyone interested in additional details regarding the US 51/Marathon County U and K interchange project and associated traffic impacts can sign up for e-mail updates at the project web page.
For more information regarding traffic impacts in North Central Wisconsin:
- Follow us on Twitter for regional alerts from the Traffic Incident Alert System and for construction related traffic advisories.
- Call 5-1-1 or visit Wisconsin 511 online.
Alerts and updates provided via these sites are not intended for use while driving. When driving, your focus should always be on driving.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region
(715) 421-8380, email@example.com