Reminder: Public meeting April 9 for I-39/Business 51 interchange in Rothschild
April 4, 2013
WisDOT is seeking public input on the updated design and construction staging
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is conducting a public involvement meeting to provide information regarding proposed improvements to the I-39/Business 51 interchange in Rothschild. The project includes the ramps connecting Business 51 to I-39, and Business 51 between Village Way and Eagle’s Nest Boulevard.
The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 9, from 5 to 7 p.m., in the Community Room of the Rothschild Village Hall, 211 Grand Avenue. A brief presentation is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. Citizens who are deaf or hard of hearing who plan to attend the meeting, and who require an interpreter may request one by contacting Kristin McHugh at least three working days prior to the meeting.
WisDOT is seeking the public’s input on updates to the project design, proposed construction staging, and the anticipated traffic impacts during construction. Elements of the project that have been updated or changed since the last public meeting include:
- Construction schedule
- Alignments of the interchange ramps and multi-use trail
- Cedar Creek bridge design type
- Business 51 (County XX to and Eagle’s Nest Boulevard) will be closed between Labor Day 2014 and Thanksgiving 2014 to construct the new Cedar Creek bridge.
Construction is currently scheduled to begin in late summer 2014 and will be completed by the end of 2015.
The interchange ramps and lane configurations on Business 51 do not meet current design standards, which leads to congestion and traffic backups. There is limited sight distance for motorists on I-39 approaching the ramps, which leads to safety issues associated with the backups. Also, the pavement on Business 51 is reaching the end of its useful life. Proposed improvements to the interchange and Business 51 include:
- Reconstruction of Business 51 to a four-lane, divided roadway between Village Way and Eagle’s Nest Boulevard.
- Reconstruction of the I-39/Business 51 interchange ramps.
- Reconstruction of the Cedar Creek bridge.
- Construction of pedestrian and bicycle accommodations along Business 51.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region
(715) 421-8380, email@example.com