WisDOT conducting public hearing next week for proposed reconstruction of US 51 in Hazelhurst, Cassian
August 20, 2013
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is conducting a public hearing next week as part of the environmental process for the proposed reconstruction of US 51 between Rocky Run Road and County Y located in the towns of Hazelhurst and Cassian, Oneida County.
The hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, August 27, from 4 to 7 p.m., at the Northwoods Community Elementary School, 9086 County Highway K, Harshaw, WI 54529. WisDOT representatives are planning a brief presentation at 4:30 p.m., followed by an opportunity for attendees to provide public testimony. Written and verbal testimony will be taken beginning at 5 p.m. Verbal testimony will be limited to 5 minutes per person and will conclude at 7 p.m. Court reporters will be present to record private and public testimony.
The purpose of the hearing is to obtain verbal and written testimony regarding the proposed reconstruction of the highway. Local officials, property owners, and other interested parties are encouraged to attend the hearing.
This project is currently scheduled for construction in 2016. The proposed improvements include:
- Reconstructing US 51 between Rocky Run Road and County Y, updating it to current safety standards, and lengthening the existing passing lanes.
- Constructing the new roadbed west of and adjacent to the existing US 51 alignment; the existing US 51 lanes will carry traffic throughout construction until the new roadway is completed and the old roadway can be graded out.
- Upgrading and improving intersections, widening clear zones, and flattening side slopes.
- Replacing the existing culverts that carry Rocky Run Creek under US 51 with a concrete box culvert.
All interested persons are further notified of the availability of an Environmental Assessment of the proposed action. This document can be viewed at:
- WisDOT Rhinelander Office, 510 North Hanson Lake Road, Rhinelander, WI
- Cassian Town Hall, 9110 Church Road, Harshaw, WI 54529
- Hazelhurst Town Hall, 9805 Yawkey Street, Hazelhurst, WI 54531
- Minocqua Public Library, 415 Menominee Street, Suite B, Minocqua, WI 54548
- On the WisDOT web
The Northwoods Community Elementary School is wheelchair accessible. If you are unable to attend the meeting, or would like more information, please contact Forrest Van Asten at (715) 365-5781. Written testimony regarding the project can be mailed to Forrest Van Asten, 510 North Hanson Lake Road, Rhinelander, WI 54501 and shall be postmarked no later than September 11, 2013. Citizens who are deaf or hard of hearing and require an interpreter may request one by contacting Forrest Van Asten at least three working days prior to the hearing.
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region
(715) 421-8380, firstname.lastname@example.org