Public hearing scheduled for WIS 116 bridge in Winneconne
October 1, 2013
Environmental Assessment document also available for review
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region in Green Bay is announcing a public hearing for the WIS 116 (Main Street) bridge crossing the Wolf River in the village of Winneconne in Winnebago County. The public hearing will be held Wednesday, October 9 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Winneconne Elementary School, 233 South Third Avenue, Winneconne in the school cafeteria. A presentation will be made at 6 p.m. Court reporters will be available to take private and public testimony.
Interested persons may attend the hearing to review displays and other materials, ask questions and provide oral or written testimony about the design, location and environmental impacts of the bridge replacement project. Persons who cannot attend the hearing, but want to provide written testimony on the bridge design, location, and environmental impacts can do so by emailing, faxing, or mailing comments to the project manager (listed below) before the close of the environmental document comment period on October 24, 2013.
The meeting facility is wheelchair accessible. People who are deaf or hard of hearing should contact WisDOT Project Manager Rob Wagner at the address listed below no later than three working days prior to the public hearing.
The new bridge is being located south of the existing bridge and crosses over the Wolf River. Construction is scheduled for 2017.
- Estimated cost for the bridge, including real estate acquisitions, is $24 million.
- It will be approximately 700 feet in length.
- Design includes 12-foot driving lanes, 8-foot sidewalks, and 6-foot shoulder/bike lanes in each direction.
The existing bridge will continue operation until the new bridge is built, lessening traffic impacts. When the new bridge is open, the existing bridge will be removed and new fishing platforms will be constructed from each river bank in the old bridge location.
WisDOT is also announcing that an Environmental Assessment (EA) on the location, design and environmental aspects of the new bridge is also available for public review.
The EA discusses the need for the proposed improvements, alternatives considered and environmental effects. It has been prepared and filed according to the State and National Environmental Policy Acts. A summary of the EA can be found at the project web site.
The EA will be available at the public hearing and is available for inspection and copying at the repositories listed below.
- Village Hall, 30 South 1st Street, Village of Winneconne
- Town Hall, 6494 County Road M, Winneconne
- East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, 400 Ahnaip Street, Suite 100, Menasha
In Green Bay:
- WisDOT Northeast Region Office, 944 Vanderperren Way, Green Bay
- WisDOT Bureau of Technical Services, 4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 451, Madison
Project Manager contact:
- Rob Wagner, P.E., WisDOT NE Region, 944 Vanderperren Way, Green Bay, WI 54303
Phone (920) 492-5983, Fax (920) 492-4640, email@example.com
For more information, contact:
Communications Manager Kim Rudat, WisDOT NE Region
(920) 492-5743, firstname.lastname@example.org