Public meeting scheduled for proposed bridge improvements along I-39
January 16, 2014
Work at WIS 21 interchange includes bridge closure
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is conducting a public involvement meeting regarding the proposed improvements to three structures located along I-39 in Waushara County: Two over Waushara County CH; and the WIS 21 bridge in Coloma.
The meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 23, from 6 to 8 p.m., at the Anna Follett Community Center, 55 Front Street, Coloma. A brief presentation is scheduled to begin at 6:15 p.m. The objective of the meeting is to discuss the purpose and the need for the project as well as obtain the public’s input on the proposed improvements, construction schedule, and traffic impacts.
The WIS 21 bridge over I-39 needs to be raised to meet current design and height requirements. This operation, requires crews to close the bridge for approximately 8 to 10 weeks. However, the ramps will remain open with some lane closures.
Other proposed improvements include:
- Painting the existing steel girders on all three bridges.
- Repairing the polymer bridge deck surface of southbound I‐39 over County CH
- Placing a polymer surface on the bridge deck of northbound I‐39 over County CH
- Milling and overlaying the WIS 21 bridge deck, restaining the parapet walls and replacing the deficient beam guard attached to the bridge
- Replacing the WIS 21 pavement on both ends of the bridge deck to match into the new bridge deck height
- Placing a 4-inch asphalt overlay of northbound I-39 underneath WIS 21 to preserve the underlying mainline concrete pavement
Construction is currently scheduled to begin in fall 2014 with completion in spring 2016.
Proposed traffic impacts associated with construction include:
- Continuous lane closures on I-39 during the spring and fall
- A two month detour of WIS 21
- A single lane of traffic on County CH under the I-39 bridges with temporary traffic signals
Citizens planning to attend the meeting who are deaf or hard of hearing and require an interpreter, may request one by contacting Kristin McHugh at least three working days prior to the meeting.
For more information, contact:
Kristin McHugh, WisDOT regional communications manager
(715) 421-8380, email@example.com