WisDOT begins mobilizing for St. Croix Crossing 2014 approach construction
February 7, 2014
WIS 35 detour to take effect mid-March
Area motorists and residents will notice crews beginning to mobilize construction equipment to the new St. Croix Crossing Wisconsin approach work site within the next two weeks.
The current construction plan includes clearing and excavating on the west side of WIS 35 beginning in early March. In order to minimize the inconvenience of a long-term detour, crews will be working 24-hour shifts beginning in March. Their work schedule will begin Monday mornings through Saturday mornings for about two months.
A detour that closes WIS 35 to traffic between County Road V and Houlton is tentatively scheduled to take effect the week of March 17, weather permitting. The detour is necessary to construct the WIS 35 overpass over the future WIS 64. Motorists on WIS 35 will use County Road E and County Road V until the state highway re-opens to traffic in July, weather permitting. View the detour map.
In 2014, crews will grade the new WIS 64 road surface between the river bluff and just north of County Road E. Grading work will continue in 2015 in the north project area to 150th Avenue. The new WIS 64 will be paved in 2016 and open to traffic simultaneously with the new St. Croix Crossing.
H. James & Sons, Inc., based in Fennimore, Wisconsin, will construct the first portion of the approach work. Letting for this construction took place in December 2013.
Additional project information
The overall three-mile project completes the WIS 64 majors project that was built in the early 2000's.
The four lane expressway from New Richmond to Houlton will now tie-in to the new St. Croix Crossing structure over the St. Croix River in 2016. The project will include:
- WIS 35 overpass, located near the main bridge
- WIS 35/County E interchange
- Pedestrian and bike path
- Two roundabouts located at the ramp terminals
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website.
- Sign-up for weekly email updates.
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649).
- Like us on Facebook.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Download the new 511 mobile app or visit Minnesota 511 online.
- Stop by the project office at 1862 Greeley Street S., Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
For more information, contact:
Christine Ouellette, WisDOT NW Region
(715) 833‐9814, (715) 828‐9471, email@example.com
Jessica Wiens, MnDOT
(651) 366‐4272, (651) 503-0637, firstname.lastname@example.org