US 51/Marathon County U and K/Business 51 interchange meeting scheduled next week
February 24, 2014
Wausau interchange reconstruction scheduled to resume as early as March 3
The public is invited to attend meeting to learn more about this year’s construction schedule for the US 51/Marathon County U and K/Business 51 interchange in Wausau.
The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 4, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Center for Building and Industry Solutions Building, Northcentral Technical College, Room 110, 1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau. A brief presentation is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m. WisDOT staff and representatives from the prime contractor will present planned construction activities and traffic management during construction. Citizens who are deaf or hard of hearing and require an interpreter may request one by contacting Kristin McHugh at (715) 421-8380 at least three working days prior to the meeting.
Construction operations are currently scheduled to resume as early as Monday, March 3. Work in 2014 includes:
- Repaving US 51 (West Wausau Avenue to Decator Drive)
- Replacing the US 51 bridge decks over County K/Business 51 and southbound US 51 over Decator Drive
- Reconstructing the US 51/County U/K/Business 51 interchange as a single diamond interchange at County K/Business 51, with a half diamond interchange at County U
- Roundabouts will be constructed at the County K/Business 51 interchange ramps.
- Constructing a multi-use path beginning at the cul-de-sac at 14th Street, through Northcentral Technical College’s property, and ending at the College Drive/Business 51 intersection
Motorists can expect the following traffic impacts in 2014:
- County K will be detoured via County U and Overlook Drive for approximately six months.
- Crews will keep two lanes in each direction open on US 51 during peak hours, with the exception of northbound US 51 (north of County K) will have a single lane closure for approximately one week in September 2014.
- Periodic 15 to 20 minute closures of US 51 will be required for rock blasting/beam placement. Rock blasting is tentatively scheduled to start mid April 2014.
- Some temporary ramp closures
The reconstruction of the interchange began in April 2013. Crews completed the reconstruction of the County U bridge over US 51, reconstruction of County U (Westwood Drive to Business 51) to a four-lane urban roadway, installation of traffic signals at the County U/College Drive/Business 51 intersection, and reconstruction of Overlook Drive (County U to County K). To learn more about the project and to sign up for weekly construction updates visit the WisDOT website.
The interchange reconstruction is scheduled for completion in November 2014. All construction operations and schedules are dependent on favorable weather conditions.
For more information, contact:
Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region Communications
(715) 421-8380, firstname.lastname@example.org