Bong Bridge project to begin in Superior
March 12, 2014
An $18.2 million contract to improve US 2 in Superior will begin on Monday, March 31
A two year project to make improvements to US 2/Bong Bridge is expected to begin the end of March. Details of the work include:
Bong Bridge work
- Overlay existing bridge deck and make necessary repairs to the sidewalk.
- Replace and repair arch components and repaint.
- Replace existing expansion joints and repaint girder ends.
- Replace street lights and ship navigation lights.
- Construct a modern roundabout at Belknap Street/US 2 intersection.
- Add local access connection to US 2 for North Garfield Avenue (City Industrial Park).
- Bridge deck overlay of the Susquehanna overhead bridge
- Replace roadway lighting.
- Replace existing concrete pavement.
Motorists will not be able to use westbound US 2 (Bong Bridge) until November 1, 2014. In 2015, the eastbound lanes will be closed. Motorists should use the signed detour.
Construction began on the Bong Bridge in 1979 and opened to traffic on October 25, 1984. This is one of the most significant improvement projects on the bridge since it opened. It will help preserve the life of the structure for years to come.
More information about roundabouts can be found on the WisDOT website.
For more information, contact:
Brian Mattson, WisDOT project leader
(715) 395-3035, firstname.lastname@example.org
Christine Ouellette, WisDOT NW Region Communications
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471