MDOT plans meeting to discuss US-2 Ironwood project
May 6, 2014
- Public meeting scheduled for 5 p.m., Wednesday, May 7, at the Ironwood Memorial Building.
- Construction on the US-2 corridor in Ironwood is planned for 2014 and 2015.
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and the City of Ironwood will have a public meeting May 7 to discuss US-2 corridor construction planned to begin this summer and continue in 2015. The meeting is scheduled for 5 p.m. Central Daylight Time at the Ironwood Memorial Building, 213 S. Marquette Street in Ironwood. The meeting will include a brief presentation covering the work planned for 2014 and 2015, followed by an opportunity for residents and business owners to ask questions or speak one-on-one with MDOT officials.
The contractor for the 2014 work, Snow Country Contracting, will be present to answer questions and MDOT staff will have construction documents for the 2014 and 2015 projects on hand.
"While this planned US-2 corridor work will result in major improvements for Ironwood, it also will have significant traffic effects during construction," said Ironwood City Manager Scott Erickson. "We encourage residents to come to the meeting to see what's planned before construction begins in May."
The 2014 US-2 project is from the Welcome Center to Curry Street. The 2015 project is from Curry Street to Luxmore Street. The road will remain at four lanes, with each lane widened from 11 feet to 12 feet. A center lane for left turns will be constructed at US-2 Business Route (Douglas Street) and also at Lake Street. Both of these intersections are signalized.
Meeting agenda items will include:
- An overview of the project scope, schedule, proposed design, municipal utilities, sidewalk locations, signal upgrades, and other plan details;
- Plans for maintaining traffic and detour routes;
- Right-of-way acquisition for the project;
- Access management considerations, which involve modifying driveway access to minimize vehicle conflicts and improving safety for motorists throughout the corridor.
Anyone needing accommodations for the meeting should call MDOT's Crystal Falls Transportation Center (TSC) at (866) 584-8100.
Roadway Work Zone Safety - We’re All in This Together.
For more information, contact:
Dan Weingarten, MDOT Office of Communications
(906) 485-6322, ext. 136, firstname.lastname@example.org