US 51 roadway improvements scheduled for Vilas County
May 7, 2014
Improvement work on US 51 between County M and County W in Vilas County, is scheduled to begin Monday, May 12.
Pitlik and Wick, Inc is the prime contractor for the $2.5 million project. Crews will mill and overlay 15.3 miles of US 51 to extend the life of the pavement. Additional improvements include:
- Replacing or re-lining some culvert pipes
- Repairing approaches to the Spider Lake bridge
- Adding an anti-skid surface to the Spider Lake bridge deck and approaches
- Installing rumble strips
- Widening the shoulders to accommodate pedestrians and bicyclists
US 51 will remain open to traffic during construction. Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures with flagging operations or traffic signals. Access to homes and businesses will be maintained at all times. Construction is scheduled for completion by July 2014.
One hundred percent of the project will be paid with state transportation funds.
For more information regarding traffic impacts in the North Central Region:
- Follow us on Twitter for regional alerts from the Traffic Incident Alert System and for construction related traffic advisories.
- Call 5-1-1 or visit Wisconsin 511 online.
- Check the North Central Region weekly construction update.
Alerts and updates provided via these sites are not intended for use while driving. When driving, your focus should always be on driving.
For more information, contact:
Kristin McHugh, WisDOT NC Region Communications
(715) 421-8380, email@example.com