WisDOT conducting public hearing for the reconstruction of Business 51 in Plover, Whiting
May 8, 2014
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is conducting a public hearing for the reconstruction of Business 51 (Post Road) between Portage County B and Minnesota Avenue in the villages of Plover and Whiting, Portage County.
The hearing is scheduled to take place from 5 to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 14 at the Plover Municipal Center, 2400 Post Road, Plover. This will be a hybrid-style hearing, which is a combination open house and traditional public hearing. The open house enables the public to view exhibits, talk with project staff and testify privately to a court reporter at any time during the hearing. The traditional public hearing portion will begin at 6 p.m. with a project presentation. After the presentation the public is offered the option of providing verbal testimony to the audience. The public is also offered the opportunity to provide written testimony. Local officials, property owners, and other interested parties are encouraged to attend the hearing.
WisDOT representatives will discuss the Business 51 (Post Road) reconstruction project and the Environmental Assessment (EA) Re-evaluation document. Proposed improvements to Business 51 (Post Road) include:
- Reconstructing the roadway between Portage County B and Minnesota Avenue to a four-lane, divided urban roadway.
- Constructing wider travel lanes, dedicated turn lanes, bike lanes, sidewalks, and a raised center median.
The proposed improvements to Business 51 will address safety and congestion issues along the corridor as well as provide increased accommodations for pedestrians and bicyclists. The first section planned for construction is Green Drive to Springville Drive, which is currently scheduled to begin in 2016. Additional information about the project can also be obtained via the project website.
The EA Re-evaluation describes the proposal’s impacts and effects, which has been prepared and filed according to the State and National Environmental Policy Acts. This document indicates that no significant environmental impacts are anticipated to occur as a result of this improvement. The EA Re-evaluation is available for inspection at the following locations through May 29, 2014. (There may be a charge for copying the document):
- WisDOT, 1681 Second Avenue South, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
- Village of Plover Library, 2151 Roosevelt Drive, Plover, WI 54467
- Plover Municipal Center, 2400 Post Road, Plover, WI 54467
- Whiting Municipal Center, 3600 Water Street, Stevens Point, WI 54481
- Bureau of Technical Services, WisDOT, 4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 451, PO Box 7965, Madison, WI 53707
- An electronic copy can be found on the project website.
The Plover Municipal Center is wheelchair accessible. Citizens who are deaf or hard of hearing and require an interpreter may request one by contacting Kristin McHugh at (715) 421-8380 at least three working days prior to the meeting. Written testimony regarding the project can be mailed to Michael Kretschmer, WisDOT – NC Region, 1681 Second Avenue South, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495, or emailed to email@example.com. All written testimony must be received no later than May 29, 2014.
For more information, contact:
Kristin McHugh, WisDOT region communications manager
(715) 421-8380, firstname.lastname@example.org