WIS 116 upgrade in Omro, Winnebago County to include traffic lights
June 13, 2014
A roundabout was being considered
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Northeast Region in Green Bay is announcing they will move forward with traffic lights, rather than a roundabout, at the intersection of Spruce Street and West River Drive (WIS 21/WIS 116) as part of a proposed improvement of one mile of WIS 116 (East River Drive and Willow Street) from Spruce Street to the northern city limits of Omro in Winnebago County. WisDOT had announced at a public meeting held in Omro on February 19, 2014 that a roundabout was being considered for this intersection.
Reasons for not building a roundabout at this location included:
- The roundabout alternative had three additional relocations (1 business and 2 residences) compared to traffic signal alternative requiring one residential relocation.
- Several adjustments were required to accommodate oversize, overweight (OSOW) vehicles for the roundabout alternative while the traffic signal alternative accommodated OSOW vehicles in the regular footprint.
- The roundabout alternative cost approximately $300,000 more when compared to traffic signal alternative at this location.
- The bridge (County F/WIS 21/WIS 116) in Omro crossing the Fox River limits any adjustments to road alignment/profile on south approach leg of the intersection.
Please note both the traffic signal and roundabout alternatives do provide adequate operations for existing and future traffic.
The proposed improvement project on WIS 116 consists of an urban reconstruction from Spruce Street to Pine Street, and resurfacing from Pine Street to the northern city limits of Omro. WIS 116 will be closed to traffic during construction and a detour route will be established. The project is scheduled for construction in 2018.
For more information, contact:
Kim Rudat, WisDOT regional communications manager
(920) 492-5743, email@example.com