Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
WIS 29 (Sunrise Dr.-Business 51 Interchange) - Need/purpose
Why is this project needed?
WIS 29 serves multiple communities along with being a regional backbone highway and providing a primary east-west roadway in northern Wisconsin.
The existing WIS 29 eastbound and westbound lanes are in need of pavement replacement. The bridge decks of the structures on eastbound and westbound WIS 29 over the Wisconsin River and Business 51 are in poor condition and reaching the end of their service life. The westbound WIS 29 bridges require widening to meet future traffic operation needs and to facilitate safe and efficient travel when the highway is under construction.
The Sunrise Drive structure over WIS 29 requires preventative maintenance to extend its service life. Also, the structure does not meet the current minimum vertical clearance requirements for oversize/overweight vehicles.
The purpose of the proposed improvements is to address the current and future traffic and safety needs of the highway and the structures.
- Replacing approximately 1,000 feet of WIS 29 pavement from west of the Wisconsin River to east of Business 51. Improvements to culvert pipes, signing and marking within the pavement replacement limits.
- Redecking and widening the westbound WIS 29 structures over the Wisconsin River and Business 51.
- Redecking and widening the eastbound WIS 29 structure over Business 51.
- Redecking the eastbound WIS 29 structure over the Wisconsin River.
- Raising and rehabilitating the Sunrise Drive overpass, including installing new pavement markings on the new bridge surface, installing a fence on the parapet walls, and widening the shoulders on the approaches to improve existing bicycle and pedestrian accommodations.
- Replacing the existing bridge railing along northbound Volkman Street with a fence to improve existing pedestrian accommodations.
- Replacing the existing 5 foot sidewalk with an to 10 foot multi-use path along southbound Business 51 from East Grand Avenue to the eastbound ramp terminal.
- Installing aesthetic improvements along Business 51 from West Grand Avenue to the eastbound ramp terminal.
Questions about the content of this page:
WisDOT North Central Region Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: May 7, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.