Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
WIS 23 Expansion Project - Environmental documents
WisDOT prepared a Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), which outlines the purpose and need for improvement, and documents the impact of the chosen alternative.
It also provides information on the alternatives that were not selected.
Limited Scope Supplemental Draft Environmental Impact Statement (LS SDEIS)
FHWA and WisDOT have prepared a LS SDEIS in accordance with Title 23, Part 771.130 (f) of the Code of Federal Regulations (23 CFR 771.130(f)). This LS SDEIS is used to address issues of limited scope associated with the overall project. These issues are as follows:
- Updating and clarifying portions of the original Purpose and Need.
- Enhancing and clarifying the discussion of alternatives that do not include capacity expansion.
- Clarifying the discussion of impacts to Section 4(f) resources and reconsidering determinations on three of those resources.
- Revising, updating, and clarifying the Indirect and Cumulative Effects (ICE) analysis.
- Seeking additional public involvement by offering a hybrid style public hearing which offers the opportunity for individual written testimony, individual oral testimony to a court reporter, and/or formal public testimony.
A Limited Scope Supplemental Final Environmental Impact Statement (LS SFEIS) and Record of Decision (ROD) will be completed to conclude the environmental study process. The ROD and FEIS below were completed in 2010, prior to the LS SDEIS.
Notes - In the documents below:
Maroon text - Signifies updates addressing changed conditions or analysis, clarifications, or additional information.
Blue text - Items that are considered revisions that target specifically identified issues in the January 19, 2012 Notice of Intent to prepare an Limited Scope (LS) EIS.
Tables and figures - The title of the table or figure has been shown in maroon or blue to indicate whether it has been updated or revised since the 2010 FEIS.
View Complete LS SDEIS (79 MB) OR view the files below in which the complete document is broken down into smaller file sizes to reduce download times.
- Table of contents
- Section ES.0 - Executive summary
- Section 1.0 - Purpose and need
- Section 2 - Alternatives (8 MB)
- Section 3 - Affected environment
- Section 4.1-4.6 - Environmental consequences
- Section 4.6 Factor Sheets A-B Environmental Consequences (6.2 MB)
- Section 4.6 Factor Sheets C-D Environmental Consequences
- Section 5 - Section 4(f) and 6(f)
- Section 6 - Measures to Minimize
- Section 7 - Comments
- Section 8 - Index
- Section 9 - Append LS A
- Section 9 - Append LS B
- Section 9 - Append LS C, part 1
- Section 9 - Append LS C, part 2 (7.4 MB)
- Section 9 - Append LS C, part 3
- Section 9 - Append LS C, part 4
- Section 9 - Append LS C, part 5
- Section 9 - Append LS C, part 6
- Section 9 - Append LS C, part 7 (6 MB)
- Section 9 - Append LS C, part 8
- Section 9 - Append LS D
- Section 9 - Append LS E-G
Record of Decision (ROD) - 2010
2010 ROD, needed for final design and construction to commence, was issued Sept. 27, 2010.
Final EIS (FEIS) - 2010
2010 Final EIS (FEIS) for WIS 23 expansion study was completed and approved by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) June 2010.
Note: Changes or additions to the text of the FEIS are indicated by yellow or grey highlighting or with vertical lines in the margins.
View complete 2010 FEIS (99 MB) OR view the files below which are the complete document broken down into files with smaller file sizes to reduce download times.
File 1 of 7 (12.3 MB)
- Cover and NEPA Statement
- Section 0
- Executive summary
- Figure ES 15
- Table of contents
- Section 1.0 - Purpose and need
- Section 2.0 - Summary of considered alternatives
- Section 3.0 - Affected environment
File 2 of 7, Section 4.0 - Environmental consequences (18 MB)
File 3 of 7 (9.1 MB)
- Section 5.0 - Measures to minimize adverse effects
- Section 6.0 - Comments and coordination
- Section 7.0 - Index
- Section 8.0 - Appendices
- Appendix A - Traffic information
- Appendix B - Conceptual stage relocation program plan
- Appendix C - Demographics
File 4 of 7, Appendix D - Memos and correspondence (20.2 MB)
File 5 of 7 (21.2 MB)
- Appendix E - Value planning study final report executive summary
- Appendix F - List of preparers
- Appendix G - Final state EIS Federal EA distribution
- Appendix H - Miscellaneous maps
File 6 of 7 (15.9 MB)
- Appendix I - Safety audit
- Appendix J - Passing lane study
- Appendix K - Agricultural impact statement executive summary
- Appendix L - Conformity analysis
- Appendix M - Architecture-history survey form
- Appendix N - Mobile source air toxics
- Appendix O - Traffic noise notification to local governments
File 7 of 7 (7.1 MB)
- Appendix P - 4(f) and 6(f) evaluations
- Appendix Q - J-turn memo
Locations for viewing the LS SDEIS
Printed copies of the LS SDEIS are available at the following locations:
Fond du Lac Public Library
32 Sheboygan Street
Fond du Lac, WI 54935
Plymouth Public Library
130 Division Street
Plymouth, WI 53073-1848
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Bureau of Technical Services
4802 Sheboygan Ave, Room 451
Madison, WI 53707-7965
To make arrangements to view the LS SDEIS or to obtain a printed copy or a copy on CD, contact:
Robert Wagner, WisDOT Project Leader
There will be a charge for hard copies and CD's. You will be notified of any charges prior to the material being sent.
WisDOT projects and construction sometimes change the natural environment around a project area. To minimize the effects of road construction and development WisDOT works to reduce change to the natural environment and leads several efforts to restore project areas.
Questions about the content of this page, contact:
WisDOT Northeast Region Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: July 25, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.