Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
WIS 29 (County FF-County U) Freeway Conversion
Hobart and Howard,
Brown and Outagamie counties
|View NE, WIS 29 (County FF-County U) Freeway Conversion in a larger map.|
News release July 12, 2013 - J-turn project at County U and VV on WIS 29 finished. View tips on driving/using a J-turn.
Video - How a J-turn intersection works
WIS 29, County FF - County U, through villages of Hobart and Howard, in Brown and Outagamie counties.
Preparing preliminary and final plans to implement recommendations from the WIS 29 Corridor Preservation Plan (2008) to identify the improvements necessary to convert WIS 29 from an expressway to a freeway and to restrict access elsewhere along the corridor.
Recommendations were developed with the cooperation of area residents and officials.
- Constructing interchanges at County VV and County FF
- Building overpasses at County U and North Pine Tree Rd.
- Closing Sunlite Dr. and Woodland Rd. intersection
WIS 29 is designated as a Backbone route. The highway serves interstate and inter-regional trips and functions as the primary route across north-central Wisconsin, linking Green Bay with I-94 and Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Current traffic volumes make WIS 29 the state’s most heavily traveled east-west highway north of I-94. These traffic volumes also indicate that a large amount of truck traffic travels WIS 29, highlighting the highway’s importance to Wisconsin’s industry, business and agriculture.
This project has been split into two projects:
Project I (Funding approved)
- WIS 29/County FF intersection - Design for converting to a diamond interchange
- WIS 29/County FF interchange ramps - Roundabout
- Golden Pond Park Ct. - Access to be relocated
- WIS 29/Sunlite Dr./Woodland Rd. intersection - Woodland Rd. and Sunlite Dr. to be relocated to close this intersection with WIS 29
- WIS 29/Catherine Dr. - Cul-de-sac to be designed at Catherine Dr., east of Woodland Rd./Sunlite Dr.
- County FF/Golden Pond Park Ct./Navajo Trail - Roundabout
- Sherwood St./Shawano Ave. (County C) - Roundabout
Total cost (including real estate/utilities/construction engineering) estimated at $13,500,000.
Project II (Funding has not been approved)
- WIS 29/County VV intersection - Design for converting to a diamond interchange
- WIS 29/North Pine Tree Rd. - Current Pine Tree Rd. to be extended over WIS 29
- Milltown Rd. - Realignment
- Old Highway 29 - Realignment
- WIS 29/County U - Overpass
Total cost (including real estate/utilities/construction engineering) estimated at $27,100,000.
- Construction on interchanges started summer 2013 and scheduled to be completed fall 2014
- J-turn work completed spring 2013
- Funding has not been approved
- WisDOT is moving forward with preparation of construction plans to allow these improvements to be constructed as soon as funding becomes available
- Real estate acquisition will not begin on these portions of the project until construction funding is secured
Questions about the content of this page, contact:
WisDOT Northeast Region Office, email@example.com
Last modified: July 15, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.