Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
US 2, Bong Bridge - Fast facts
|View NW, US 2 Bong Bridge in city of Superior - Douglas County in a larger map.|
US 2, in city of Superior (from the Belknap Viaduct to I-35 in Minnesota), in Douglas County.
WisDOT will be making several improvements on US 2 in the city of Superior in 2014 and 2015. This is the most significant project on the Bong Bridge since it opened in 1984. This work will preserve the life of the structure for years to come.
Bong Bridge work
- Overlay existing bridge deck and make necessary repairs to the sidewalk
- Replace and repair arch components and repaint
- Replace existing expansion joints and repaint girder ends
- Replace street lights and ship navigation lights
- Reconfigure the existing Belknap St. and US 2 intersection to a modern roundabout
- Add local access connection to US 2 for North Garfield Ave. (city industrial park)
- Bridge deck overlay of the Susquehanna overhead bridge
- Replace roadway lighting
- Replace existing concrete pavement
Promote your business during construction
- April 2014 through November 2014 - Construction of westbound US 2
- Construction suspended November 2014 through April 2015 (US 2 will be open to both eastbound and westbound travel over the winter)
- May 2015 through November 1, 2015 - Construction of eastbound US 2
- The pedestrian walkway will remain open this year, but will be closed during the 2015 construction project (Weather permitting)
- The roundabout will not be fully functional until November 2015
- April 7, 2014 through May 5, 2014 - Westbound and eastbound traffic reduced to one lane
- May 5, 2014 through November 1, 2014 - Both westbound lanes will close. Motorists will use signed detour onto Blatnik Bridge.
- May 2015 through November 1, 2015 - Eastbound traffic detoured to Blatnik Bridge
Video - How to safely navigate a roundabout - This video was produced by our WisDOT friends in Green Bay. We will be hosting informational meetings in Superior as we get closer to constructing the roundabout in 2015.
Chris Ouellette, WisDOT Northwest Region Communications Manager
Matt Dickenson, WisDOT Project Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Northwest Region, Superior Office
1701 N. 4th St.
Superior, WI 54880
Phone: (715) 392-7925
Fax: (715) 392-7863
TDD: (800) 590-1868
WI Telecommunications Relay System (TTY): 711
WisDOT Northwest Region Office, email@example.com
Last modified: April 16, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.