Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Tier 1, US 8 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) - Alternatives
The mainline alternative includes the entire 40-mile project corridor except for the segments that pass through Range, Poskin, Turtle Lake, Barron, and along Deer Lake and the Joel Flowage. Those segments are covered by separate alternatives that can be viewed by selecting one of the links to the right under "other alternatives."
Features of the mainline alternative include:
- A four-lane rural expressway with wide grassy median.
- At-grade intersections similar to current conditions in most locations.
- Proposed interchanges at WIS 35 North and WIS 46 South/County H.
- A 400-foot-wide planned corridor using the existing roadway as either the eastbound or westbound lanes (except where existing US 8 may be proposed as a local access road).
The mainline alternative shifts south of the existing US 8 right of way along Deer Lake, near upper and lower Turtle Lake and at Lightening Creek Wildlife area near Almena.
Mainline alternative refinements since public information meetings held in 2003 include:
- Three alignments in the Deer Lake area. One is on the existing alignment and the other two are south of the existing alignment.
- Alignment adjustment between Upper and Lower Turtle Lake to reduce farm impacts.
- Realignment alternative on the north side of Range.
- North realignment alternative at Joel Flowage (between 50th and 15th streets).
The following document(s) are in Adobe PDF
(Note: Some files are large and may take longer to download depending on individual connection speeds. Users may need to zoom in to see details.)
Mainline alternative in Polk County:
- WIS 35 North to 170th Street
- 170th Street to 150th Street
- 150th Street to 120th Street
- 120th Street to WIS 46 South
- WIS 46 South to
- 70th Street to 50th Street
- 50th Street to 15th Street
- 15th Street to US 63 South
Mainline alternative in Barron County:
- US 63 South to County KK
- County KK to 5th Street
- 5th Street to 8th Street
- 8th Street to 11th Street
- 11th Street to
- County T to County W
- County W to US 53
Questions about the content of this page, contact:
WisDOT Northwest Region Office, email@example.com
Last modified: July 17, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.