Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Tier 1, US 8 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) - Environmental documents
Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
An EIS is the decision document for a major highway project like US 8 . The EIS pulls together community and agency interests and recommends a future course of action.
An EIS is required by the National and Wisconsin Environmental Policy Acts for projects with potentially significant social, economic, natural resource and other impacts. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is the lead agency for the EIS which is prepared in accordance with their guidelines.
The following document(s) are in Adobe PDF
(Note: Some files are large and may take longer to download depending on individual connection speeds. Users may need to zoom in to see details.)
Record of Decision (ROD)
Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS)
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) completed the FEIS on 40 miles of US 8 between WIS 35 (North) and US 53 in Polk and Barron Counties. The FEIS identifies the selected preferred alternative for the corridor.
An important aspect of the FEIS is its designation as a “Tier 1” environmental document. The Tier 1 document is used to outline the basic location and design vision for the 40-mile US 8 corridor between WIS 35 (N) and US 53. Future phases, called Tier 2 and Tier 3, will be used to provide detailed engineering for corridor preservation efforts and eventual design and construction. Additional environmental documentation will also be required. While it could take decades to complete the entire corridor, the preferred alternative for US 8 forms the foundation for WisDOT’s approach to funding and scheduling the highest-need sections of improvements for this corridor.
The FEIS has been published and is available below. Hard copies are available for viewing at the Northwest Region Transportation office, 1701 North 4th Street, Superior, WI.
Note: How to open the WinZip file below:
- Left click on the link.
- When the File download window pops up, select open.
- If your computer has the software needed to open a .zip file you should see a new window open up with the files inside the .zip folder visible.
- Right click on any of the files in this new window and select open to view that file.
- If your computer does not have the software needed to open a .zip file, see the Zipped file information in the footer below. You will then need to download the WinZip software in order to view the contents of the .zip folder.
View the complete FEIS (32.4 MB) which includes the items listed below:
- NOTE: Changes or additions to the text of the EIS are indicated with grey highlighting. New sections have only the section title highlighted.
- 0.0 Cover
- 0.0 Executive Summary
- 0.1 Table of Contents
- 0.2 Glossary of Terms and Acronyms
- 1.1 Statement of Project Purpose and Need
- 1.2 Project Background
- 1.3 Need for Project
- 2.1 Alternatives Development and Evaluation Methodology
- 2.2 Initial Alternatives Considered
- 2.3 Value Engineering Study
- 2.4 Alternatives Dismissed from Further Study
- 2.5 Alternatives Retained for Detailed Study
- 2.6 Preliminary WisDOT Recommended Alternatives for DEIS
- 2.7 Preferred Alternative and Future Tier Efforts
- 3.1 Natural Environment
- 3.2 Socio-Economic Environment
- 3.3 Land Use
- 3.4 Other Projects-Potential Influences
- 4.1 Direct Effects to Natural Environment - Section 1
- 4.2 Direct Effects to Socio-Economic Environment
- 4.3 Indirect and Cumulative Effects to Land Use
- 4.4 Transportation
- 4.5 Permits and Approvals
- 4.6 Irreversible or Irretrievable Commitment Sources
- 4.7 Energy
- 4.8 Construction Impacts
- 4.9 Impacts Summary
- 4.10 Section 4(f) and 6(f) Impacts
- 4.11 Measures to Minimize and Mitigate Adverse Impacts
- 4.12 Pending Issues and Commitments
Section 5, 6, 7, 8
- 5.1-3 List of Preparers
- 6.1-5 Agency Circulation List
- 7.1-5 Comments and Coordination Prior to the Availability of DEIS
- 8.0 Index
- Appendix A - WisDOT Origin-Destination Studies
- Appendix B - Segment I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, Turtle Lake, Barron
- Appendix C - Comments and Coordination Prior to DEIS
- Appendix D - Phase 1 HazMat Site Summary and Addendum Letter
- Appendix E - Noise Analysis Summary
- Appendix F - Air Quality Analysis
- Appendix G - Conceptual Stage Relocation Plan
- Appendix H - Analysis of Indirect Effects on Environmental Resources and additional policy tools
- Appendix I - Draft Section 4_f_ Screening Worksheets
Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS)
Public input on the DEIS document, alternatives, and impacts was solicited during the summer of 2006 following its publication in early June 2006.
Selection of a preferred
alternative for US 8 was made by WisDOT and is identified in the
FEIS after evaluating engineering and
environmental factors for the various alternatives, and careful
consideration of comments from various agencies, affected
communities and property owners.
WisDOT projects and construction sometimes change the natural environment around a project area. To minimize the effects of road construction and development WisDOT works to reduce change to the natural environment and leads several efforts to restore project areas.
Questions about the content of this page, contact:
WisDOT Northwest Region Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: July 17, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.