Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Chicago - Milwaukee Intercity Passenger Rail Corridor
Environmental Assessment and Service Development Plan - Facts
|Current Hiawatha Service||Future Hiawatha Service with planned improvements|
Hiawatha Service facts
- Stations include:
- Chicago Union (connect to Amtrak system, transit and intercity buses)
- Glenview, IL (connect to local transit)
- Sturtevant, WI (connect to local transit)
- Milwaukee Airport Rail Station (connect to all flights and ground transportation at General Mitchell International Airport)
- Milwaukee Intermodal Station (connect to intercity bus and transit)
- One of the best on-time performance rates in the Amtrak system
- Financially supported by Wisconsin and Illinois
- Operating support split is 75% Wisconsin, 25% Illinois
- 2013 ridership: 819,125; a 6.9% increase over 2008
- Highest ridership of any Amtrak service outside the east and west coasts
- Standing room only conditions on some peak trains
- Ridership has grown consistently over the past 10 years and has doubled since 2003
Hiawatha Service 2011 on-board passenger survey results
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT), in partnership with the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), Amtrak and Texas Transportation Institute (TTI), conducted an on-board survey of Hiawatha Service passengers in April of 2011. The survey allows the state sponsors and Amtrak to:
- Learn about travel patterns and choices of rail passengers
- Learn about characteristics of trips such as trip purpose and mode of access to/from the station
- Evaluate customer satisfaction and preferences
Survey results are used to focus activities to continually improve the service and to plan for future needs and improvements. A survey of passengers connecting between the Milwaukee Airport Rail Station and the airport terminal was also conducted the same year. TTI analyzed the results of both surveys and created the following overview and report.
WisDOT and IDOT, in partnership with Amtrak, have also conducted on-board surveys in 2002/2003 and 2005.
Arun Rao, email@example.com
Last modified: July 22, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.