Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
US 12/18 Freeway Conversion Study - Need/purpose
Why is this project needed?
To evaluate freeway conversion alternatives, identify the preferred alternative that will meet future roadway needs and preserve the corridor for future construction. The study will also identify potential interim improvements which could be constructed to meet safety or operational needs.
- Existing traffic volumes (2009 counts) range from 14,200 vehicles per day (vpd) between County AB and County N to 18,000 vpd between I-39/90 and County AB.
- Traffic volumes are expected to increase to 21,400 vpd between County AB and County N and 41,000 vpd between I-39/90 and County AB in the year 2040.
- The segment from I-39/90 to County N has an average crash rate more than three times the statewide average for similar roadways; injury and fatal crash rates for this segment are also above statewide averages.
- The intersection of Millpond Road/Long Drive with US 12/18 has an average crash rate that exceeds the statewide average; injury and fatal crash rates for this intersection also exceed statewide averages.
- The intersections of US 12/18 with Millpond Road/Long Drive and County AB currently do not operate at desirable levels.
- Improvements to the Beltline interchange and development along the County AB corridor are expected to affect traffic operations and safety along US 12/18.
Questions about the content of this page, contact:
WisDOT Southwest Region Office-Madison, email@example.com
Last modified: May 14, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.