Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Innovative Interchange and Intersection Design - Single Point Interchange (SPI)
WisDOT is considering the use of a Single Point Interchange (SPI) at key highway interchanges across the state. This innovative design helps move large volumes of traffic through limited amounts of space safely and efficiently.
All traffic is controlled by a single set of traffic signals located in the center of the intersection. An SPI is currently in place at the US 12/US 53 interchange in Eau Claire (image right).
Reasons for considering this interchange type
- Safety – Reduces the ways vehicles can collide by one third (18 compared to 26 for a conventional diamond interchange).
- Greater capacity and efficiency – Accommodates more traffic than conventional designs.
- Accommodates large trucks.
- Easy Navigation – Guides drivers with overhead signs, pavement marking, and traffic signals.
Navigating an SPI
- Drivers follow the signs and pavement markings to the traffic signal.
- The intersection operates like a traditional intersection.
WisDOT is committed to exploring all available options for safely and efficiently moving traffic. Using the latest engineering technology and techniques gives us more options than simply adding lanes. The economic benefits combined with improved safety and mobility will contribute to enhanced competitiveness and quality of life for businesses and communities. Where appropriate, we will incorporate these innovative designs into future interchanges.
John Bridwell and Mark Morrison
Last modified: June 7, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.