Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Frozen road declaration
The frozen road declaration is not in effect at this time.
The frozen road declaration is normally in effect from mid December to late February or early March. Eligibility for increased weight limitations is restricted to vehicles hauling abrasives or salt for highway winter maintenance and peeled or unpeeled forest products cut crosswise not to include woodchips. For legally licensed vehicles hauling these loads, no special permit is required during this period. Legally licensed means currently registered for 80,000 pounds, or the maximum gross vehicle weight, if less than 80,000 pounds.
Local county or township road maintenance authorities are responsible for determining when local and county roads are frozen or thawing. Questions related to frozen road conditions on local or county roads should be referred to the maintaining authority for those roads./p>
Map - Seasonal load limits boundaries (Updated May 30, 2014)
End of frozen road declaration
History (Updated May 30, 2014)
Frozen Road Guideline (Updated January 17, 2012)
Frozen road maximum axle weight limitations (Updated March 10, 2004)
Important things to know with respect to permits involving 98,000 pounds on 6-axles:
- The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is the only agency that may issue a “Raw Forest Products Permit” (RS Permit) per Wis Statute 348.27(9m)(a)4.
- The RS Permit authorizes transport of “raw forest products” at gvw of 98,000 lbs on vehicles or vehicle combinations with six or more axles none of which may exceed the axle weights set in the statute.
- RS Permits are not valid on Interstate highways.
- RS permits do not authorize exceeding posted weight limits, except for seasonal limits on marked State or US routes in connection with thawing of frozen roads.
- During the spring thaw period established by WisDOT, the RS Permit allows transport on any highway that is marked State or US route including those posted to limit weights seasonally in connection with thawing of frozen roads. RS permits also remain valid during spring thaw on all other public roads but are subject to all posted weight limits, including seasonal limits.
Non-seasonal roadway postings (None at this time)
Call (608) 266-8417 for a recorded message of the current status of the frozen road declaration.
Questions about the content of this page:
Mike Sproul, Michael.Sproul@dot.wi.gov
Questions about overweight/oversize permits:
Motor carrier services, email@example.com
Last modified: June 11, 2014
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.